Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Topsoil Dance

This was the second song in the "soil cycle."

Again the amount of information conveyed was intentionally limited. This song addresses the three layers of ground that third graders in Virginia are expected to know: Topsoil, Subsoil, and Bedrock. It describes each, and accentuates the importance of topsoil in providing nutrients for plants to grow.

Ideally, I would have made a video that showed people doing the actual dance as envisioned... I even tried filming some friends to see if I could make it work. What I've now decided is that making music videos is harder than it looks. I would love it if someone with better videography skills would take it on as a project!

When I posted this, I still thought of this as just a fun little lark. All the recording was done through the mic of my laptop, and I wasn't terribly concerned with recording quality. I have since envisioned a more elaborate arrangement, and may re-record it.



Lyrics after the jump:



We've got a little dance for y'all now; it's called the Topsoil Dance
So put your arms in the air... Put your hands up high and show me where that topsoil is...
And now you're gonna learn the dance with us... Alright, here we go...

Topsoil, Subsoil and Bedrock!
[hands at the top and then the middle and the bottom, y'all]
Topsoil, Subsoil and Bedrock!
[Listen up now, I'm goin' to tell ya...]

They call it topsoil 'cause it's found at the top
It's a natural product of subsoil and bedrock.
It's the best soil for growing plants
So let me see you move your body to the Topsoil Dance.

Topsoil, Subsoil and Bedrock!
[Mmm, sing it with soil, sistah]
Topsoil, Subsoil and Bedrock!
[Move your hands to show me all those layers, now]
Topsoil, Subsoil and Bedrock!
[You got soil, yeah]
Topsoil, Subsoil and Bedrock!
[But that's not all that I want you to know..]

There's also subsoil, it's the next layer down
And below that is the bedrock, deep in the ground
But they are not as good for growing plants,
So let me see you move your body to the Topsoil Dance.

Topsoil, Subsoil and Bedrock!
[One of these things is not like the others]
Topsoil, Subsoil and Bedrock!
[Move your hands to show me all those layers, now]
Topsoil, Subsoil and Bedrock!
[Most of that humus is there in the topsoil]
Topsoil, Subsoil and Bedrock!
[Let me sing the praises, let me sing the praises of topsoil!]


©2010 David Newman